When many of us think of allergies, we often think of the seasonal variety – pollen from trees, grasses and plants.
But there are other allergies that people suffer from, such as those from food.
Unless you already know you have a specific food allergy, you may not know when it shows itself.
Here is a real-life example:
A family dines at an Indian restaurant. A short time after eating at the restaurant the child gets a redness on her neck. Her nose is a little stuffy. Hmmm.
Fast forward years later and the grown woman is breathing hard after eating lamb her colleague made at home and gave to her for lunch. The common denominator? Turmeric.
Food allergies are more than food sensitivities. With a food allergy your body is trying to protect itself from the food intruder. It thinks of harmless food as harmful.
Below are eight commonly consumed foods that often food allergens:
• Tree nuts (almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, brazil nuts, cashews, pecans, pistachios and macadamia nuts).
• Sesame seeds
What to do if you are allergic to food? Five ideas below:
1. Read ingredients religiously. You never know when there is the tiniest amount of what you are allergic to that is included in a prepared food.
2. Choose restaurants carefully. If you are allergic to a spice or a particular food, and you don’t know if the restaurant you are considering dining at, call ahead and ask. Worse case, ask when you arrive – and leave if it appears that you may have an allergic reaction.
3. Learn the signs. Allergic reactions can include itchy eyes, itchy rash, hives, diarrhea, facial swelling and difficulty breathing. Find out how food allergies express themselves in you or a loved one so you can act quickly.
4. Get tested. If you are having any reactions, schedule an appointment with an allergist. The allergist can perform two tests: a skin or blood test. Sometimes both.
5. Use herbal formulations. Quercetin provides allergy and digestive health support. You will find quercetin in Allergy ReLeaf® System. Allergy ReLeaf® System includes a softgel and a tablet.